How An Australian Joinery Manufacturing Company Recouped Its AVR Cost Within 1 Year
Case Study For Glavcom
Established in 2004, Glavcom incorporated decades of industry experience to establish itself in the joinery manufacturing industry.
To be a top player in this industry, Glavcom needed to manufacture a large volume of work and cater to its fast-growing client portfolio. The need to achieve this aim led the esteemed company to install a range of automated woodwork equipment in their manufacturing plant in New South Wales, Australia.
In 2014, within Glavcom’s electrical system, a MeterTrac™ Telemetry system was installed to provide continuous and real-time power performance monitoring. Based on the factory’s daily working conditions, this technology analyses detailed power quality measurements for its entire manufacturing operations.
What this innovative system soon revealed—was the hidden risks and extreme severity that the company was unknowingly exposed to.
High Reactive Energy & Power Surges
The area of enormous concern is that the incoming voltage supply in their operations was heavily fluctuating by over 35V L-N (or 60V L-L) throughout the day. This voltage variation results in huge instability and is detrimental to the operational efficiency of the automated woodworking equipment.
Glavcom’s load equipment were built to suit a typical European specification of 380/220V. However, according to the data received by MeterTrac™, the average voltage level measured was 248.6V, with spikes up to a maximum of 255.3V—which are well above nominal voltage levels.
Such conditions of voltage fluctuations are clear tell-tale signs of the numerous problems Glavcom faced in its operations. The frequent power surges that they experienced indicated that their equipment was excessively overworking, which increases the possibility of overheating, or even complete failures. This outcome puts all of Glavcom’s equipment on the power circuit at high risk—potentially leading to expensive unplanned downtime.
Additionally, the occurrence of unnecessary high reactive energy at the customer endpoints of transmission networks—also adds more costs to the customer’s bills. Considering the increasing average electricity cost in Australia per kWh, this could result in Glavcom having to maintain significantly costlier operations.
To achieve a highly optimised level of operational efficiency, it became obvious that Glavcom needed a comprehensive solution—one that would immediately reduce, and effectively stabilise the erratic incoming voltage supply.
The Ashley Edison (UK) Solution
This immediate need for a reliable voltage optimising solution has led Glavcom towards Ashley Edison.
To ensure that Glavcom achieves the best results with completely stabilised voltage, Ashley Edison supplied them with the Protector Series – SESL 3Phase Automatic Voltage Regulator.
This Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) offers extreme voltage protection for 3 Phase applications that demand highly precise output regulation and ultra-fast response speed.
These voltage regulators are based on the Servo Electronic Digitally Enhanced Design, which boasts reliability for critical applications.
Complete Voltage Regulating Solution Includes:
Protector Series SESL Automatic Voltage Regulator (Model: SESL Series)
450 KVA x 1 unit
- Servo Electronic Digitally Enhanced Design
- Stepless Voltage Regulation (± 1% output voltage accuracy)
- Forced-Air Cooling for improved operational efficiency
- Fast Response Time (<1.5ms)
- Inbuilt High Overload Capability (10x max current rating for 2 seconds)
- Independent Phase Balancing & Control: Automatic voltage sensing & precise regulation to ensure individual phase voltages remain stable – regardless of load change or unbalance.
- Transient Voltage Surge Protection (TVSS) protects critical loads against harmful high energy surges, transients, and spikes.
- Wide input voltage tolerance that compensates for low voltage values from 340V, and covers high voltage values up to 460V.
Since the installation of the AVR, Glavcom has seen the AVR cost pay off—in operational effectiveness, and in immense value.
Total Voltage Protection
- Power network supply voltage is now completely reduced from a peak of 255.3V (L-N), to an optimal 220V (L-N)
- Ashley Edison’s AVR now regulates and balances all 3 phases of the factory power supply—tightening it to within ±1% of the power network supply voltage on each of the three phases.
- For added dependability, each phase is now individually protected by twin module redundancy systems. This means that in the unlikely event of a malfunction, the AVR unit continues to function seamlessly—with no interruption to Glavcom’s operations.
- With incoming voltage levels now perfectly stabilised on the customer side of the power utility, Glavcom has now full control over their billing meters.
Greater Returns on Investment
Ashley Edison AVR provided for a 28% kWh savings per day.
The average electricity cost in Australia ranges from AU$0.27/kWh up to AU$0.40/kWh.
These were the estimated savings:
- kWh Savings Per Day
958 kWh – 690 kWh = 268 kWh
- Cost Savings Per Day
268 kWh x AU$0.40 = AU$107.20
- Cost Savings Per Year
AU$107.20 x 365 days = AU$39,128.00 in 1 Year
Additionally, Glavcom has witnessed an overall improvement of the following:
- 15% reduction in Peak Demand (average daily kVA)
- 36% reduction in Reactive Energy (average daily kVARh)
- 3% improvement in Power Factor (average daily PF)
Since commissioning the Ashley Edison AVR, the automated woodworking equipment and all loads connected on Glavcom’s power circuit are now fully protected from harmful voltage anomalies. Equipment efficiency is optimized—allowing the company to worry less about downtime, and focus more on moving the needle forward as a business.
Not only have they been able to achieve passive savings on maintenance, they have also realized a healthy Return On Investment (ROI) from their AVR installation.
With a fully stabilised and regulated voltage supply, Glavcom continues to gain momentum at the forefront of Australia’s joinery manufacturing industry.
Superb voltage quality plays a huge part in significantly enhancing your electrical systems, enabling you to take your operational efficiency and productivity to a whole different level. This case study demonstrates how a fully protected and regulated voltage supply is vital in promoting outstanding cost-efficiency, and maximum stability.
Today, Glavcom has flourished to become one of the elite manufacturers in the industry—delivering the ultimate experience in interior joinery, and serving some of the most iconic buildings in Sydney, Australia.
For a comprehensive consultation on how you can effectively optimise operational costs and overcome your power challenges, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discover Ashley Edison’s Product Page to learn more about our full range of Automatic Voltage Regulators.
“Demand Certainty, With Voltage Stability.”
*Tests shown in this case study were conducted during periods when factory conditions were controlled within reason. Results in other situations may vary due to different power transmission networks. MeterTrac MVC230-600 and Ashley Edison AVR surveys are used to model benefits specific to location, plant and equipment loads, and operation patterns.